ASHA CEUs: This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs, Intermediate Level
This workshop provided participants working in schools and Early Intervention with a broader understanding of specific strategies for interprofessional collaborative practice and the opportunity to self-reflect and develop new approaches that will lead to success with their own caseloads and in their unique work environments
Shellie Bader, M.A., CCC-SLP currently serves as a consultant and strategic advisor for The Stepping Stones Group and EBS Healthcare. Previously, as a Regional Director for EBS Healthcare, she managed facility partnerships and oversaw multidisciplinary clinical and educational services throughout California. With expertise in assessment and evaluation, supervision/mentoring, special education legislation and multidisciplinary collaboration, she regularly provides professional development courses for school districts, graduate programs and for her state association. Earlier in her career, Ms. Bader served as an administrator for the Speech and Language Program in LAUSD, and directed pediatric clinic and Early Intervention programs, improving service and client success through innovative and outcomes-based interventions. An active volunteer for CSHA, Ms. Bader served on the Board of Directors and as the Chair of the Professional Practices Committee. She was honored with the CSHA Outstanding Achievement Award and the CSUN Alumni of the Year.
Julie B. Kornbluth MA OTR/L: Julie was an OT Director for EBS Healthcare from 2004-2020. Her responsibilities with included mentoring and supporting therapists in school districts and Early Intervention programs throughout the United States mainland and Hawaii. She was also responsible for recruitment, training, and program development. She was actively involved in EBS United, leading therapy groups internationally, and has volunteered and worked in multiple countries independently. She has presented at local, state and national conferences on school-based and cultural competency topics.
Financial Disclosure: Shellie is an employee of the Stepping Stones Group and receive a salary for her position with The Stepping Stones Group. At the time of this presentation recording, Julie was paid as an employee of EBS Healthcare, Julie has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: No relevant non-financial relationship exists
As a result of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Define collaboration and explain why it is important for successful Interprofessional Practice (IPP)
- Complete a self-reflection exercise to recognize his or her own communication style and how this impacts collaboration with others
- State the 3 tiers of service intervention and at least one effective strategy for collaboration at each tier
- Select the best collaborative intervention strategy for at least two children or groups on your current caseload
- 5 minutes: Welcome and Introduction to Learner Objectives
- 25 minutes: Why do we collaborate?
- 15 minutes: Self-reflection questionnaire
- 20 minutes: Tiers of intervention & Collaboration service delivery models
- 30 minutes: Using Knowledge from Self-Reflection to Learn and Build Strategies for Improve Interprofessional Practice
- 15 minutes: Action plan/Takeaways: What can you do to get started with your caseload?
- 10 minutes: Q&A; Paperwork