Course Credits: 0.4 ASHA CEUs (4 hours)
This presentation gave SLPs the knowledge and confidence to use informal assessment measures in their comprehensive evaluation process in order to meet legal requirements, professional standards, district and community needs. Participants learned to use a variety of informal assessment strategies, interpreters when necessary, and appropriate documentation for written reports.
Shellie Bader, M.A., CCC-SLP, currently serves as a consultant and strategic advisor for The Stepping Stones Group and EBS Healthcare. Previously, as a Regional Director for EBS Healthcare, she managed facility partnerships and oversaw multidisciplinary clinical and educational services throughout California. With expertise in assessment and evaluation, supervision/mentoring, special education legislation and multidisciplinary collaboration, she regularly provides professional development courses for school districts, graduate programs and for her state association. Earlier in her career, Ms. Bader served as an administrator for the Speech and Language Program in LAUSD, and directed pediatric clinic and Early Intervention programs, improving service and client success through innovative and outcomes-based interventions. An active volunteer for CSHA, Ms. Bader served on the Board of Directors and as the Chair of the Professional Practices Committee. She was honored with the CSHA Outstanding Achievement Award and the CSUN Alumni of the Year.
Financial Disclosure: Shellie is an employee of the Stepping Stones Group and receives a salary for her position with The Stepping Stones Group.
Non-Financial Disclosure: Shellie has no other non-financial information to disclose.
Following instruction, participants will be able to:
- Examine various informal assessment measures and how each is a valid component of a comprehensive evaluation
- Write an evaluation report that thoroughly documents and uniquely describes the strengths and needs of each student with cultural sensitivity when using informal assessment measures
- Identify 3 informal assessment measures and how these strategies lead to more informed goals and services
- 10 minutes: Welcome and Review of Learner Outcomes
- 20 minutes: Speech-Language Impairment Eligibility and the need for related services
- 20 minutes: Low SES, English learnings, and children with identified disabilities
- 10 minutes: Group Discussion
- 60 minutes: Lunch Break
- 60 minutes: Informal assessment measures
- 30 minutes: Group Discussion
- 45 minutes: Strategies for meaningful assessment reports and putting it all together
- 45 minutes: Group Discussion and final