ASHA CEUs: This course is offered for 0.2 ASHA CEUs, Intermediate Level
This course presented an overview of the ASHA Code of Ethics followed by a discussion of examples of ethical misconduct, with specific focus on those confronting school-based practitioners. Participants discussed common types of ethical complaints, the process of solving ethical dilemmas, learned to identify supportive resources when facing ethical dilemmas, and how to report ethical violations.
Melanie W. Hudson, M.A. CCC-SLP, is an SLP Director at The Stepping Stones Group, ASHA Fellow, and Distinguished Fellow of National Academies of Practice (NAP). She served on ASHA’s Board of Directors as Chair of the Speech-Language Pathology Advisory Council (2016-2018), the Board of Ethics, and the Board of Special Interest Group Coordinators. Melanie’s publications include “Professional Issues in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, 4th edition” (Lubinski & Hudson; Delmar, Cengage Learning, 2013; Plural Publishing, 2018), and 5th edition (Hudson & DeRuiter, 2019, Plural), chapter author for “The Clinical Education and Supervisory Process in Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology,” (McCrea & Brasseur, Slack, Inc., 2019). She served as President of the Georgia Speech-Language and Hearing Association and on the Georgia Board of Examiners for Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology. Melanie was a candidate for ASHA’s President-elect for 2021.
Financial Disclosure: Melanie Hudson is an employee of The Stepping Stones Group and receives a salary for her position. She has no other relevant financial relationships to disclose.
Non-Financial Disclosure: No relevant non-financial relationship exists
As a result of this seminar, participants will be able to:
- Describe the purpose and function of a professional code of ethics.
- Explain at least 2 common ethical dilemmas using case studies.
- Describe the process of solving an ethical dilemma.
- 15 minutes: Ethical Standards: The “what” and “why” and Overview of 2016 ASHA Code of Ethics
- 50 minutes: Common Types of Ethical Complaints with Case Studies and COVID-19 Considerations
- 15 Minutes: Ethics Terminology
- 30 Minutes: Ethical Dilemmas: How to Avoid; Finding Guidance; Reporting Ethical Violations; Sanctions
- 10 Minutes: Questions/Discussion/Wrap-Up